It’s a Gouda Day for National Cheese Day!
You may or may not have heard that today is National Cheese Day – a perfect day to celebrate all of its cheesy goodness! Cheese is such a versatile dairy item that can be enjoyed on its own, paired with beverages like beer and wine, used in snacks and appetizers, used as an essential ingredient in a cold or toasted sandwich or as a topping on your favorite casserole or pasta dish. The possibilities are endless with cheese!
These cheese storage tips will help you keep your cheese fresher for longer:
- Cheese is best stored in the refrigerator as close to the bottom as possible, like in the vegetable compartment.
- Shredded cheeses are more susceptible to mold and are best when used 3-5 days after opening the package.
- Freezing soft cheeses is not recommended, since it may alter the appearance and texture of the cheese.
- Cheeses should be wrapped individually for storage, preferably in tight-fitting plastic wrap – and don’t store different flavors in the package!
Check out these helpful tips courtesy of Heluva Good! that are all about cooking with cheese:
- Chilled cheese is much easier to shred and grate. Chill hard cheeses in the freezer for 30 minutes and soft cheese for 15-20 minutes. If you’re looking to crumble hard cheese, freeze it longer!
- Measuring cheese by weight is the best way to measure cheese for cooking. The general rule is that 4 oz. of cheese equals one cup of shredded or grated cheese.
- To prevent certain cheese like mozzarella and swiss from becoming stringy during cooking, add a little wine or lemon juice before melting them.
- When melting and blending cheese into a recipe, be sure to use a low temperature for a short period of time. High heat tends to make cheese stringy and tough.
You don’t want to miss these ooey, gooey recipes for National Cheese Day!
- Whip together this 4 State Cheese Quiche for a cheesy breakfast or brunch.
- Who doesn’t love a good BLT? Why not toast it with this Bacon, Tomato, Avocado & Havarti Grilled Cheese?!
- Throw together these Vegetarian Nachos that are layered in cheesy goodness.
- This Italian-Garden Flatbread is made with four different kinds of cheeses!
- Love cheese fries? How about these Mexican Sweet Potato Cheese Fries for a fun spin on a classic.
- Anytime Fun-Due is great for a party, as a fun snack or anytime you’re craving cheese!
- Paired with tortilla chips, crostini, crackers or bread, this Taco Queso Dip is sure to hit the spot.
- It wouldn’t be National Cheese Day without Elsie’s Baked Mac and Cheese!
- This Cheddar Bacon Pull-Apart Bread is seriously to die for!
- It’s the perfect time of year to heat up the grill and cook up a Fresh Mozzarella Burger.
- Satisfy your cheese cravings with this Broccoli Cheese Soup!
- Stumped on what to make for dinner tonight? Zesty Cheeseburger Mac Casserole is enough to feed the whole clan!
Or just stop by your local dairy aisle to get your cheese fix:
- Borden’s Thick Cut Shreds are thicker than your typical shredded cheeses, making it easier to melt for smooth sauces and dips.
- With part skim, non, whole and low fat options, your lasagna will be as good as mom’s with Galbani Ricotta Cheese.
- Sargento Balanced Breaks are made of rich cheeses paired with crunchy nuts and sweet dried fruits.
- You name it, Kraft has it; with over 40 styles of shredded cheese, no dish will go without the right flavor!
- Horizon Organic has a variety of portable snacking cheeses, including string cheese, cheese sticks, cheese bites and Good & Go! snack packs.
- Arla Cream Cheese comes in a numerous flavors with convenient lids, so you can spread what you want on today’s bagel and leave plenty for tomorrow!
- Whether you like your cottage cheese plain, flavored or with fruit, Hood has you covered.
What cheeses are your favorite to celebrate on National Cheese Day? Share with us on social media @EasyHomeMeals!