Hooray for National Greek Yogurt Day!
Greek yogurt: we’ve all heard of it, some of us have tried it, and tons of people love it! But what makes Greek yogurt so different from regular yogurt? For starters, it is low in fat, high in protein and calcium and contains less carbohydrates than non-Greek yogurt. It’s also strained, unlike non-Greek yogurt, which results in its rich, creamy texture.
Some may remember a sudden boom in the popularity of Greek yogurt a few years ago. This may be attributed to American culture’s increase in health-conscious eating and consumers’ search for more “farm-to-table” or “organic” food sources and options. In 2016, top Greek yogurt brand Chobani reached nearly $2 billion in sales!
Did you know these fun facts about Greek yogurt?
-It takes three times more milk to produce than non-Greek yogurt.
-The popular Greek yogurt company name “Fage” means “eat!” in.
-Greek yogurt may not in fact be “Greek”! According to Paul Freedman, a Yale University food professor, says it’s more closely associated with Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
-Yogurt is actually created with bacteria! It’s “good” bacteria called Lactobacillus bulgaricus or Streptococcus thermophilus that aides in digestive health.
You don’t want to miss out these oh-so-creamy Greek yogurt products:
- Wallaby’s 0% Fat Organic Greek Yogurts come in plain, mixed berry, peach, lemon and raspberry to satisfy any flavor craving!If you like your yogurt 100% grass-fed, Stonyfield’s Greek Yogurt comes in five 5.3 ounce varieties or 24 ounce to last you all week!
- Chobani Flips are Greek yogurt paired with yummy toppings such as chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, toffee, coconut and more!
- Fage offers plain yogurt, Split Cups and Crossovers to feed your snack-time needs!
- Maple Hill Creamery’s five Greek yogurt flavors and two sizes leave you with endless possibilities for recipes and snacking.
- Stick to your healthy routine with Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt-only 80 calories per serving!
Yogurt doesn’t have to just be a breakfast snack. Check out these mealtime ideas using Greek yogurt!
- Make a dreamy, creamy side dish of Roasted-Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Fage Total.
- Have you ever heard of Seafood Lasagna? We bet you won’t forget about this delicious spin on an Italian favorite!
- Did you know you can make a simple, Asian-inspired sauce with Greek yogurt? You’ll love this Cold Noodles with Chobani-Sesame Sauce.
- Roasted Chicken with Spinach, Yogurt and Pine Nuts and Cheese is a poultry dish your family will go absolutely nuts over!
- If you’re in the mood for some spice, Tandoori Chicken with Rice will be right up your alley.
Greek yogurt can also be the answer to any dessert dilemma:
- This Greek Gods Orange Yogurt Cake is not only topped with a sweet glaze, it’s got just the right touch of citrus too!
- With layers of cheese and peaches, this Greek Yogurt Peach Tart is more than just good-looking, it’s hard to keep your hands off too!
- With the holidays around the corner, this Eggnog Smoothie is calling your name!
- This Blackberry Pie Cheesecake has a chocolate crust and creamy filling that will be hard to resist.
- The perfect fall or winter brownie – Maple Yogurt and Glazed Pecan Brownies will disappear off the table before you know it!
Have a fantastic Greek yogurt Day!