Fire up your Taste Buds for International Hot and Spicy Foods Day
Once a year, the food world gets red-hot for a day to celebrate International Hot and Spicy Food Day. Celebrations far and wide throw fiestas and gatherings to have cook-offs, costume contests, and spicy food eating competitions.
Evidence from archaeologists suggest that people have been consuming spicy foods and recipes for over 6,000 years! Research also suggests that hot and spicy foods can actually aid your health and be good for you through medicinal and antimicrobial purposes. Additionally, certain spices such as oregano, onions, allspice, and garlic kill bacteria in your food and make it safer for you to eat!
Grab your glass of milk today, because research proves that the best way to ease the burning and fiery feeling in your mouth is with a tall glass of milk! To prevent any arm-flailing and additional burning, DO NOT head for the sink as water will do you no good. Water won’t mix with the oils of the spice and only adds to the movement of heat around your mouth.
So, do you know where the famous chili pepper came from? Well, it all leads back to Christopher Columbus when he “discovered” these famous heat capsules upon arrival to the Americas in 1492. After finding these hot tamales (literally), we now know that capsaicin is the chemical inside of these mystery and fiery bulbs that makes them so hot. Capsaicin isn’t found in any other plant and is identifiable down to one part per million.
These hot and spicy recipes are everything you’ve wanted and then some:
- Spice up the flavor at dinner tonight with a Southern twist of Cheesy Cajun Shrimp Boats.
- Jalapeno Mac and Cheese with Corn and Tomato Salad is a family favorite dinner with a fiery kick of favor.
- Sheet pan meals make mealtime so much easier. Try this recipe for Sheet Pan Spicy Shrimp Fajitas.
- It’s wing night! Grab the spices because they’re hot wings tonight featuring this recipe – Baked Harissa Chicken Wings.
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili is a kickin’ way to bring the whole family to the table for a meatless meal!
- It’s hot, hot , hot in the kitchen! Angus Beef and Chorizo Parrillada is a flavorful way to celebrate this food holiday.
- Long day ahead? This Crock Pot Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken recipe allows you to prep in the morning and eat as soon as you get home!
Stop by the frozen food aisle for these hot and spicy products:
- Make tonight a pizza night with a Pulled Pork, Pineapple, and Jalapeno Pizza!
- Hot and Spicy Any’tizers® Wings are a flavor kickin’ appetizer to entertain your taste buds.
- Indulge in a plate of spicy goodness with Spicy Jalapeno and Sharp Cheddar Pierogies.
- Steak and Jalapeno Burritos are a spicy way to heat up the flavor at the dinner table!
- Start your morning with a fiery Chorizo Breakfast Bowl.
- This Burrito Breakfast Bowl is a kick to your morning routine, filled with fierce flavor.
- Spice up your lunch hour with a microwavable dish of Spicy Miso Chicken Ramen!.
- Put a twist on your boring lunch with a spicy choice of Pepper Beef for lunch.
- Snack on something hot this afternoon with a round of Jalapeno Peppers!
- Grape and Chili Sauced Meatballs are easy entertaining for whoever is in your crowd.
Which flavor kickin’ recipe or product will you try tonight?