Do National Pancake Day the Right Way with These 18 Ideas
National Pancake Day – a day to celebrate this traditional breakfast item and its history of tastiness! The earliest mention of pancakes was in 600 BC in ancient Greece when a poet described pancakes in one of his writings. Later, around 1100 AD, pancakes became perfect for Shrove Tuesday – a time to use up dairy products before lent. Brandy and wine had been used as the liquid in pancake batter but once the 1800s hit, milk and sometimes cream became standard. In 1931, ever-popular Bisquick was introduced, making it effortless for Americans to make fluffy pancakes.
Today pancakes are still one of those most popular breakfast foods, and often the focus of food contests around the world! Did you know the largest pancake ever flipped measured 16.4 yards across and weighed an outstanding three tons? In 2012, a world record was set for the “most people tossing pancakes” – a total of 890 flippers participated. And the world’s highest pancake toss was in 2010 at an astonishing 31 feet and one inch into the air!
Now that you’re well-versed in pancake history, it’s time to check out these yummy recipes full of pancake goodness:
- Diving into a stack of Favorite Buttermilk Pancakes will kick off your day right!
- Imagine waking up to the smell of these Cinnamon Apple Pancakes, topped off with a spoonful of cottage cheese!
- Satisfy those early morning sweets cravings with these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
- For the year-round pumpkin lover, these Pumpkin Pancakes are perfect!
- Peachy Keen Cinnamon Pancakes have just the right hint of cinnamon to make these delicious and airy.
- Whip up these Banana Pancakes with Maple Pecan Syrup for a delightful breakfast!
- If you love berries, you’ll be impressed by these Blueberry Pancakes starring sour cream.
- Multi-Grain Pancakes with Peanut Butter Maple Spread are hearty enough for the whole family to enjoy!
For flavors a little outside of the box, you’ll love these creative recipes:
- Who said carrot cake was just for dessert? Go nuts over these Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cashew Cream Frosting.
- Nutella fans rejoice! These Pancake Nutella Breakfast Bites are a great way to get the kids together to help assemble breakfast.
- Cook these Strawberries and Cream Pancakes in the shape of a heart and surprise your sweetheart with breakfast in bed!
- If you’re feeling fancy, these Goat Cheese Pancakes with Palisafe Peach Compote are sure to please!
- You can enjoy these holiday flavors year-round with Eggnog Pancakes with Cranberry Butter.
- Indulge in dessert for breakfast with these decadent Cannoli Flapjacks!
If you’re often on-the-go or in a hurry, these frozen pancake products will save you time while still providing delicious breakfast options:
- De Wafelbakkers come in five flavors – one to satisfy every palette including buttermilk, blueberry, chocolate chip, banana and maple!
- For bite-size lovers, Eggo has Minis Buttermilk Pancakes or Chocolately Chip Bites Pancakes.
- Jimmy Dean Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick! are perfect for kids (or adults!) of all ages. Enjoy sweet and savory all in one place.
- For pancakes on-the-go, heat up one of these Aunt Jemima’s Griddle Poppers in apples & cinnamon, chocolate chip/ maple and very berry varieties.
How do you like your pancakes? Share your pancake photos on social media and use the hashtag #EasyHomeMeals!