Counting Down the Dog Days of Summer
Two words that drive parents crazy, particularly in summer and especially August, are “I’m bored!” That’s because August is packed with fun things to do before school starts up. From quirky food observances—National Banana Split Day is August 25th—to local fairs, carnivals and the possible road trip, a family on the verge of bored could get very creative.
To get your family up and active, here are 10 idea starters for counting down the dog days of summer:
1. Go fly a kite!
2. Make bug catchers during the day, then get the whole family outside after dinner and chase fireflies!
- Turn this adorable Buzzy Bee Waffle into a firefly dessert by swapping out the fruit and using mint chocolate chip ice cream!
3. Find a fair! It’s county fair season and hot August evenings are perfect for a night out of noshing and admiring the hard work of young people through 4-H and regional farmers and ranchers.
4. Rainy, wet weather where you live? Teach the kids how to weed a garden or flowerbed. Doing tedious chores together can be a great time to catch up with one another.
- Finish the task with a bright and cheerful Sun-in-the-Cloud treat!
5. Get out the bikes and go for a spin.
6. Make something outside for dinner tonight.
- These Grilled Jamaican Chicken Wings will have the whole family saying “Ya Mon!”
- Complement your main course with this tasty Vegetable Pasta Salad that just screams summer.
- If you love pizza and Caesar salad, this Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza will be a huge hit at the dinner table.
7. Play flashlight tag.
- These delicious Breakfast Wraps would be easy to transport outside for your breakfast picnic.
- Keep your picnic simple with these scrumptious Blueberry Oat Muffins!
- Cater to everyone’s sweet tooth with these portable and decadent Cannoli French Toast Rolls.
9. Make a journal all about the summer. List what you’ve done together to be more active and healthy. Draw pictures of memorable meals and activities and turn them into post cards.
10. Pick your own at a local farm! More than ever, small and medium sized farms invite their neighbors for a look see. You can turn an entire weekend into a road trip exploring what the nearby county has to offer at your local extension office.
- After a day filled with picking your own strawberries, make these yummy Double Chocolate-Filled Strawberries with your kiddos.
- When the weekend is over, surprise your family with farm-inspired treats, like these cute Lamb Cupcakes.
Share your ideas for August family fun on the Together Counts Facebook page!