Christmas Cookie Extravaganza
As if we didn’t already have Christmas cookies on the brain now that it’s December, today is also National Cookie Day! To us, it doesn’t get much better (or tastier) than cookies hot out of the oven served with a glass of milk or egg nog. Whether you bake them for yourself, give them as gifts or exchange them with friends/family/coworkers, ’tis the season for cookies! While Christmas cookies actually date back to Medieval Europe, it wasn’t until the early 1900s that cookies were even introduced in America.
Nabisco introduced Animal Crackers in 1902 as a seasonal item and its brightly colored boxes were promoted as Christmas tree ornaments (that’s what the string was for). So animal crackers began as edible ornaments – who knew?! However, German gingerbread (lebkuchen) was actually the first cookie associated with Christmas.
Before we share some of our favorite cookie recipes that are perfect for the Christmas season, here are a few helpful cookie baking tips:
– Over-mixing can cause cookie dough to harden.
– Never place raw cookie dough on a hot cookie sheet. If using the same cookie sheets for several batches, always allow them to cool between uses.
– Place hot baking pans on a cooling rack to allow air to circulate completely around pans.
– If cooled cookies stick to a cookie sheet, return the pan to a warm oven for about 1 minute, then immediately remove the cookies with a spatula.
Check out our favorite cookies made from ready-to-bake cookie dough + from scratch cookie recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: enjoy this most popular cookie anytime you want with ready-to-bake chocolate chip cookie dough!
- Basic Iced Holiday Sugar Cookies: baking sugar cookies has never been so simple!
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies: you’ll totally love the richness of these ricotta cookies.
- Mini Linzer Cookies with Boozy Jam: a fun take on the traditional linzer cookies for adults!
- Rugelach Cream Cheese Cookies: whether you call them rugelach or just cookies, this will become a new favorite.
- Frosted Molasses Drops: these cookies are bursting with holiday flavors!
- 5-Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies: if you’re still savoring the pumpkin flavor, give these cookies a go.
- Double Chocolate Candy Melts Cookies: You’ll enjoy how easy these are to bake and your kids will love the candy melts inside!
- Carrot Cake Cookies: enjoy your favorite cake without a fork.
- Candy Cane Cookies: we bet you didn’t realize you could make these festive cookies using pre-made sugar cookie dough!
- Soft & Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies: once you try this recipe you’ll never use another one again!
- Sugar and Spice Cookies: we have nothing but nice things to say about the taste of these cookies!
- White Chunk Macadamia Nut Cookies: there’s no need to slave away in the kitchen when you can buy this cookie dough pre-made!
- Eggnog Cookies: turn your favorite holiday beverage into scrumptious cookies.
- Peppermint Chocolate Crinkle Cookies: If you like regular chocolate crinkle cookies then you’ll be obsessed with this peppermint version!
- Melted Snowman Cookies: there’s no need to cry over these melted snowmen!
- Hot Chocolate Cup Cookies: hot cocoa isn’t just for drinking, bake up these adorable cookies!
- Caramel Apple Pie Cookies: are they cookies or a pie? They’re both and they’re super easy using pie crust dough from the dairy aisle!
- Cranberry Orange Creamsicle Cookies: use frozen cranberries to make this unique fruity cookie.
- Best Ever Oatmeal Cookies: whether you prefer your oatmeal cookies with raisins or plain, you’ll love this recipe.
- Quick Snickerdoodles: there’s no need to bake these from scratch when you can use ready-to-bake sugar cookie dough!
- Chocolate Coconut Cookies: we love the versatility of frozen puff pastry to make this chocolate and coconut cookie.
- Almond Macaroons: this macaroon recipe is made easy using refrigerated liquid egg whites.
- Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies: these cookies taste as delicious as they are pretty!
- Red Velvet Cookies: the red color and cocoa flavor makes them the perfect Christmas cookies!
For more cookie recipes and other desserts, visit www.EasyHomeMeals.com!