A Delicious and Nutritious Celebration for National Milk Day
National Milk Day on January 11 commemorates the day that it’s believed the first milk deliveries in glass bottles began in the United States in 1878. But why has milk been such an important part of our lives for so long? Throughout the world, more than 6 billion people consume milk and milk products such as cream, butter, yogurt, kefir, ice cream and cheese. Together, all these milk products whether whole, low-fat or fat-free deliver nine essential nutrients (calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin and niacin).
These nutrients are important for our bodies to build strong muscles and bones. As a bonus, the protein in these milk products helps you feel fuller longer. If you’re looking to beef-up the protein factor in your diet, dairy foods are a tasty and convenient way to boost this key nutrient.
Here are some easy ways you can add more milk to your diet:
– Enjoy a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast.
– Use milk instead of water in your oatmeal.
– Blend up a fruit smoothie using milk or yogurt as breakfast, a snack or dessert.
– Add milk to your morning cup of Joe.
– Make scrambled eggs with milk instead of water.
– During lunch. replace juice or soda with a glass of plain or chocolate milk.
Whether you gulp it, sip it, slurp it or spoon it, we’ve got the best creamy treats starring milk for every part of your day.
- S’mores Milkshake for Two turns this campfire favorite into a cool, ice cream shake for sharing.
- Rich with chocolate and warm spice, this Mayan Hot Chocolate is perfect on a cold day.
- A rich, golden Creamy Potato Leek Bisque will bring some warmth to any cold winter day or night.
- Just as decadent as it looks, this Candy Bar Milkshake Sundae combines all your favorite candy bar flavors into one delicious treat.
- This hearty and delicious Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is sure to become a family favorite.
- Enjoy a sweet start to your day with these Strawberry Banana Breakfast Parfaits.
- An exotic blend of spices and a touch of sweetness from coconut sugar make this Vietnamese Iced Coffee the star of your morning!
- The secret ingredient in this Raspberry Kissed Chocolate Mousse adds rich flavor and texture for a spectacular dessert.
- For the perfect healthy snack with a little spice, try Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Yogurt Dip.
- For a quick and easy breakfast or afternoon snack that’s bursting with nutritional benefits, try a Match Green Tea Smoothie.
- Even if you’re lactose intolerant, you can still enjoy this Creamy Broccoli Rice Soup made with lactose-free milk.
- Finish your day with a sweet treat like Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse that still packs a protein punch.
For more great milk-inspired ideas, take a stroll down the dairy aisle. Happy Milk Day!